Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Sunday Monday Happy Days




"Tuesday has no feel. Monday has a feel. Friday has a feel. Sunday has a feel." - Kramer and Newman on Seinfeld
As I continue to acclimatize to my non working life, one of the first thing I've noticed is that the days of the week now have much less of a feel. Back when I worked, Sunday evenings were hard. I liked my job but that didn't mean that I didn't mourn the looming end of the weekend and wasn't spending a large portion of Sunday night thinking about all the week had in store. Friday felt like a finish line. Sometimes it felt like a finish line that I was crawling across on my bloodied hands and knees, a shell of my former refreshed Monday self.  It was a good exhausted like a hard workout and it carried with it a real sense of accomplishment. It seemed like the light was different on Friday than on Sunday night or Monday morning. Like you could be driving down your street and see your neighbor's big tree and somehow the tree would have a whole different look, as if it were saying "so sorry you have to go to work tomorrow" or "hey congratulations it's Friday! You Should go home and have a drink! You've earned it."

Now I'm not working and I definitely noticed this past Friday that I didn't feel very accomplished. I missed that feeling and was a little envious of those who had worked so hard all week long and were now basking in their achievements and congratulating themselves on their survival. It's funny because I actually did accomplish a lot last week. I started this blog, ran numerous errands, made homemade dinners every night, worked out several times, and more. I promise I didn't sit around watching The Price is Right and yelling at the contestants on the row to bid one dollar. But it wasn't the same as it used to be. Now it's Sunday night and I feel peaceful. Tomorrow is just another day. I am planning to stay up and watch the ENTIRE Golden Globes show tonight. I know I really know how to live it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and thank you for taking an interest in my blog. This blog tells the story of some big life changes. First, my husband and I have just moved to Geneva, Switzerland for a few months following a few years of living in Johannesburg, South Africa. The two places could not be more different. I'm excited to share our adventures, challenges and insights with you! My thoughts and opinions are my own.